4.22.2010

oh, hi!

Long story short, The Great Underemployment of 2009 lasted from May 2009-March 2010, wherein I lived off my savings and the generosity of my parents (I'll pay you back, Mom!) and the 10 or so hours of work per week I could beg my way into. I am now in The Great Overemployment of 2010, wherein I have three jobs and work an average of 70 hours per week. I only mind that these hours are spread across three locations, one of which takes an hour to get to or from and involves crossing a bridge or at least 2 forms of public transportation.

Today is unusual because I am tele-commuting-- being as I have a functioning computer at home, while the job I'm supposed to be at today does not-- which means I get to work from the comforts of my french press and pajamas. And I get to do laundry and run errands!

One might think having the time to blog today means I am not being terribly productive, and maybe that's true. But we all need a little breather once in a while. I don't earn any sick or vacation days at these jobs yet, so managing not to go crazy or get too sick are high priorities. In the last month and a half I've managed to work through the flu, split both corners of my lips while quickly scarfing down a too-big sandwich, and survive a gnarly and unidentified spider bite, which has either begun healing or is rotting my flesh.

If I can just make it to a plane on May 10, I will have worked approximately 9 weeks x 70 hours = 630 hours without a single full day/night off. And then I fly away to visit cousins and friends for a week. Kind of reminds me of working through school. Exhilarating, but at this point also pretty automated. I couldn't even sleep in past 9 this morning, but I was so excited not to be sitting in (entirely unpredictable) traffic that it was totally worth it.

No comments: